Product Optimisation is a powerful tool that allows us to understand what it is that consumers want from their products and therefore assist clients with developing their products and ultimately creating the ‘gold standard’ product.
Product Optimisation combines sensory profiling with consumer taste testing. Firstly, our trained sensory panel will measure key parameters of the products to allow the generation of product profiles. Consumer taste testing then shows us which products consumers prefer. Combining this information then allows us to understand WHY it is that consumers prefer the products that they do and therefore offer guidelines to our clients for developing the best possible tasting products, and therefore maximising sales.
Specific benefits of this type of research include:
- Knowledge of the sensory profiles of your own and competitor products
- Understanding how development products differ in sensory terms to those already in the marketplace
- Understanding which products consumers prefer the most and why
- Knowledge of the ‘key drivers’ towards consumer liking of the product type
- Understanding the product profile of a ‘gold standard’ product
- Providing guidelines for improving your product and developing the best possible product in the marketplace
The Case Study
A popcorn manufacturer wanted to ensure that they had the best products in the marketplace and subsequently ensure their market share while improving sales. They requested a complete product optimisation process to achieve this.
The specific objectives were –
- To develop a protocol for sensory profiling popcorn products
- To compare and contrast the sensory profiles of the client’s and competitor popcorn products
- To conduct consumer acceptance testing on a range of these popcorn products
- To understand the key drivers towards consumer liking of popcorn products
- To provide guidelines for improving their current products, if any improvements were required