Wirral Sensory Services are one of the UK’s leading providers of sensory evaluation services. Our expert panellists boast excellent acuity and sensory perception, and our in-house research team can provide a tailored service to suit your needs.
But, just in case you’re wondering if sensory evaluation is something your brand might want to pursue, it’s worth first explaining what it is and why you might want to invest in these services.
What is Sensory Evaluation?
Sensory evaluation is a method of evaluating a product by relying on an individual’s sensory perception rather than using instruments or equipment. This type of evaluation can assess various aspects of a product, including appearance, aroma, flavour, and mouthfeel to name but a few.
Rather than measuring with specific instruments, this evaluation method is as much about how a product “feels” when interacting with our sensory receptors as it is about its actual performance.
How and When is Sensory Evaluation Used in Product Testing?
Despite being around for decades, the sensory evaluation process has recently come to the fore thanks to the explosion of craft brewing.
Today, beers, lagers, ales, and other closely-associated products are most closely associated with sensory evaluation. That’s because they have complex flavour profiles, aromas, and mouthfeels that objective or scientific instruments simply can’t quantify.
However, the principles of sensory evaluation have been used in other product categories for years, and you can test most consumable products with a suitable sensory evaluation method. From soft drinks to crisps, hundreds of products can be assessed using sensory evaluation services.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Sensory Evaluation?
Sensory evaluation is a valuable tool for evaluating various consumable products, including food and beverages. However, like any product research method, there are both pros and cons to consider.
Here are some of the main advantages and disadvantages of sensory evaluation.
- Provides a comprehensive assessment: Sensory evaluation provides a comprehensive assessment of a product, considering multiple factors such as appearance, aroma, flavour, and texture.
- Can be consumer-oriented: Sensory evaluation projects can deliver insights into consumer perceptions, making them helpful in developing products that meet specific customer needs and preferences.
- Cost-effective: Compared to other evaluation methods that require expensive equipment or testing, sensory evaluation is comparatively inexpensive and can be conducted with a small team of trained evaluators.
- Flexible: Sensory evaluation can be tailored to specific products or research objectives, making it a flexible tool that can be used in various contexts.
- Subjectivity: Sensory evaluation is subjective, and results may vary depending on the evaluators’ personal experiences and biases.
- Limited evaluators: The pool of trained evaluators may be limited by factors such as the availability of qualified individuals.
Overall, sensory evaluation is the best method for evaluating products solely on their sensory properties. However, it is essential to consider the potential limitations of the method and to use it in conjunction with other product evaluation methods where appropriate.
Enlist the Help of WSS to Conduct Your Sensory Evaluations
As one of the UK’s leading product research companies, we help startups and multinational brands uncover meaningful insights into their products’ performance. From sensory evaluation to taste testing and packaging research, our holistic services make it easy for businesses to identify and improve their products at any stage of their development cycle.
If you would like to learn more about our entire spectrum of sensory services, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us on +44 (0)151 346 2999 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you soon.